Brussels, September 20, 2022 – Leading vertical farming companies signed the first Vertical Farming Manifesto and Identity – both clear and bold industry standards. They highlight the impact and contribution the industry intends to make to transform current food systems and help to solve one of humanity’s toughest challenges of providing food for a growing population in a sustainable, circular way.
The Vertical Farming Identity and the Manifesto describe the urgency of transforming current food systems and explain how vertical farming systems can contribute significantly to designing food systems which are resilient and future-proof. Through technological innovation, indoor vertical farming decouples food production from external factors like climate or public health crises. By localising production and controlling the growing environment, vertical farming provides pesticide-free produce, uses significantly less land and water, and requires fewer transportation miles.
Toward the industry’s goal of driving the transformation of food systems, the companies strive to set high standards by aligning with globally accepted impact frameworks, for example, the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), B Corp, or the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Furthermore, the industry is dedicated to continuously investing in research and development to improve vertical farming technology and grow even smarter and more sustainable food systems.
– Ends –
Quotes from signatories as notes to editors
- 80 Acres Farms: “As money pours into the vertical farming industry and media attention follows, it has never been more important for us to define who we are and what we stand for. Our customers trust that we grow as sustainably as possible, ensuring a consistent food supply for generations to come. With this manifesto, we are affirming that as an industry.” –Mike Zelkind, CEO, 80 Acres Farms.
- AeroFarms: “Since Day 1, AeroFarms has been proud to pioneer and lead indoor vertical farming that has now blossomed into a major force to address our agriculture and climate challenges. As Certified B Corp, we are proud to serve as a catalyst to advance our industry forward as a collective as we continue our mission to grow the best plants possible for the betterment of humanity.” –David Rosenberg, CEO and Co-Founder, AeroFarms
- Bowery: “We believe that everyone deserves access to sustainably grown produce that gives more back to our planet than it takes,” said Katie Seawell, Chief Commercial Officer, Bowery. “We are proud to come together as an industry to build a global food supply chain that is transparent, agile and resilient so that consumers know where and how their food is grown.”
- Crop One: “For the continued existence of humanity and protection of the earth, the expansion, development and collaboration of the vertical farming industry is critical. We are proud and excited to be working together with our industry peers on the VF Identity Statement and Industry Manifesto.” –Craig Ratajczyk, CEO, Crop One
- CubicFarms: “We are running out of the resources to produce the food we need responsibly, sustainably, and affordably. We believe to protect our resources and ourselves, food and feed must be localized, and grown indoors by farmers. We are proud to join and work with our industry peers to highlight the need to democratize farming and to create local independent food ecosystems now and for future generations.” –Dave Dinesen, CEO, CubicFarms
- Elevate Farms: “Elevate Farms has been committed to developing food production systems designed to produce a high volume of leafy greens at a competitive cost. We are excited to be part of the solution to use emerging technology in order to feed people for a sustainable future.” –Amin Jadavji, CEO, Elevate Farms
- Fifth Season: “Fifth Season has never shied away from thinking big or aiming high, so we’re proud to stand alongside other vertical farming companies in an effort to collectively raise the bar within our industry. Tech-driven agriculture solutions have so much potential to positively affect the global food system. We’re excited to unify with our peers to elevate the standards and do the most good for the most people together.” –Austin Webb, CEO & Co-Founder, Fifth Season
- Fischer Farms: “Fischer Farms is proud to support the Vertical Farming identity statement and industry manifesto. The ambitions of this movement have a direct synergy with our own vision – to transform current food systems and feed the world in a sustainable way. By joining forces with other leading vertical farming companies, we can champion the future of farming, safeguarding global food security.” –Tristan Fischer, CEO and Founder, Fischer Farms
- Freight Farms: “We are pleased to come together as an industry on this manifesto as the planet will require CEA to be part of the global food solution.” –Rick Vanzura, CEO, Freight Farms
- Infarm: “As a purpose-driven company, we have always been driving and advocating for the change of the current food systems. Coming together as an industry and collectively expressing our shared values in a joint identity and manifesto is truly powerful. Together, we can really make a difference and this is just the beginning. Infarm is proud to work along with industry peers on a new food system” –Erez Galonska, CEO, Infarm
- Infinite Acres: “Vertical farming technology can make fresh, local, sustainably grown food accessible to everyone. The potential is incredible, but we can only live up to it if we grow thoughtfully, taking the quality of our business practices as seriously as we do the quality of our produce. I am glad to see the industry rally around these standards.” –Tisha Livingston, CEO, Infinite Acres
- Jones Food Company: “Jones Food Company is delighted to join and contribute to the Vertical Farming identity statement and industry manifesto. As our industry continues to grow it is crucial that we, alongside our colleagues around the world, present a united vision for what we are striving to achieve. Together our voices are amplified, championing the numerous benefits of vertical farming and what we have to offer the global food system, namely; growing more of the most delicious fresh food, whilst using far fewer natural resources and bringing us closer to the food we eat.” James Lloyd- Jones CEO
- Kalera: “At the heart of our business is a strong commitment to a better world,” said Jim Leighton, President & CEO of Kalera. “We understand that we have a critical role to play in the transformation of food systems, we strive to operate at the cutting edge of sustainable agriculture, and contribute to global food security. Kalera is excited to join our industry peers and add our name to the Vertical Farming Identity Statement and Industry Manifesto.”
- La Grangette: “Vertical Farming is a complementary solution to traditional and organic agriculture. Two major trends are reshaping the way we live: we take care of both our health – especially what we eat – and our impact on the environment. These two trends are fully matching with the Vertical Farming values. With La Grangette we are proud to make a positive contribution for the next generation.” –Thibaut Pradier, CEO, La Grangette
- Ljusgårda: “As an industry, indoor vertical farming is important and necessary to create a sustainable global food system and reduce climate change. At Ljusgårda we are proud and happy to be a part of The Vertical Farming Manifesto, and together with our colleagues in the industry we are ready and able to make a big impact globally.” – Magnus Agervald, CEO, Ljusgårda
- N.THING: “It’s a significant moonshot to contribute to a resilient food system initiated with leading vertical farming companies. We do not stop our challenges to achieve optimal technologies but also, in a more sustainable value chain with no limits.” – Hyeyeon Leo Kim, CEO N.THING
- Plenty: “Indoor vertical farming will – and must – transform our food system. For that to happen, we must work together as an industry to align on a shared vision and standards,” said Dana Worth, SVP of Commercial at Plenty. “We look forward to working with others in the industry and our key stakeholders to define those standards and deliver products that are great for consumers, profitable for retailers and good for the planet.”
- Stacked Farm: “Our industry has rightly taken up the challenge to sustainably and efficiently feed our growing populations, while at the same time protecting and preserving our planet’s resources for future generations. Stacked Farm proudly puts its signature to the Vertical Farming Industry Manifesto and commits to making products that are sustainable, accessible and affordable to all people.” –Conrad Smith, CEO, Stacked Farm
- Urban Crop Solutions: “Our industry has demonstrated its early potential, but there is much yet to be realised as we continue to innovate. At Urban Crop Solutions, we continuously strive to make the entire indoor farming journey more circular, and to demonstrate our added value for new and emerging food production methods. As with any nascent industry, open and close collaboration is necessary, especially where sustainability is concerned. We are therefore proud to join our industry peers in supporting the identity statement and manifesto.” –Maarten Vandecruys, Founder, Urban Crop Solutions
- Urban Harvest: “Climate change is happening now. CEA is in our opinion part of the solution and therefore believe that the companies active in this industry should try to define a common strategy and identity. Multilayer farming, both in greenhouses and warehouses, has the potential to disrupt this market and make fresh and high quality food available all over the world.”
- Vertical Future: “Vertical Future is proud to add our name to the Vertical Farming Identity Statement and Industry Manifesto. Our company was founded to make a positive difference to the health of both people and planet and we have built a team focussed on engineering and plant science to improve the quality of crops whilst driving down the production cost, making produce from Vertical Future systems accessible to all.” –Jamie Burrows, CEO Vertical Future
- YesHealth Group: “YesHealth Group is proud to sign the Vertical Farming Industry Manifesto and help advance the industry towards our shared goals. We believe that the industry must come together and collaborate to create realistic expectations in order to make a real impact.” –Winston Tsai, CEO YesHealth Group
- ZipGrow Inc.: “ZipGrow Inc. is proud to join other international CEA industry leaders in signing this Vertical Farming Identity Statement and Industry Manifesto. As our sector solidifies itself as a mainstream form of agriculture and food production, it is essential to work together to ensure we continue to provide safe, healthy, and sustainable local food and workplaces for communities around the world.” –Eric Lang, President ZipGrow Inc.
Press contact: firstname.lastname@example.org